View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 09:21 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I like this thread.

This is one of my sentimental items. I bought a lot of tickets and stubs a long time ago on Ebay, maybe in the 90's. This one was in the lot. A full ticket from October 1st, 1950. The White Sox played a final day of the season double header against the St. Louis Browns. After researching it I found that Gus Zernial hit a homer in the first game and 3 in the second game. This is the AL record for homers in a double header. (NL record is 5 by Musial and Colbert). Anyway I held onto it for a long time not for any particular reason. I told my father about the ticket and he mentioned how he like "Ozark Ike" when he played in Philly.

Then around 2010 The Philadelphia A's Society, which was located in my hometown, held an autograph show with a lot of the old A's. I saw that Gus Zernial would be there so I took the stub over to be signed. There were not too many people there at the time and he talked to me for a good while, remembering the particualr game and other stories from his playing days. I knew he was pretty old at the time so I was listening intently, feeling like maybe I may be the last guy who got to talk baseball with him. Well thats basically true. My father died shortly after as did Gus. So this just reminds me of both of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zernial.jpg (90.2 KB, 252 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears