View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NY View Post
I heard about Al's passing several days ago and was immediately sad that another one of my competitors is gone.

In the 1970s, Al was just one of us out there trying to make a buck. Back then, he was always a friend who bought from me and sold to me.

Then he created the Mr. Mint persona and hit big-time pay dirt with aggressive marketing. He was a great spokesperson for the hobby and made some spectacular deals.

I mostly have fond memories of our dealings. But do I have stories? Of course I do, but they will also remain as memories. They don't belong here.

It really saddens me that some of you always find that this is the place to air your grievances when it is just too late to make a difference anyway.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Steve S.
That's pretty much why I've held off posting for so long. I've mixed feelings about Mr Mint, but it's not the place or time for much of it.

I met him very briefly when he had a table at one of the Halls shows. I was helping out with one of the tables right near his. While my style could best be described as the exact opposite of his (With the exact opposite financial rewards fwiw) Seeing him in action for a few hours and also during the downtime when things were slow was very interesting. He put on a GREAT show! And that was exactly what some people wanted even if they didn't know it. One whole showcase with no cards, just cash, and his own armed guard standing by. But I was close enough to be sort of in on a few conversations during slow times later on, and mostly just listened to him discussing cards with other dealers. What I saw was a guy who really knew his cards and was fairly happy to discuss them with other people who he knew also knew cards.

I also saw a guy who wanted to spend, but only on the right stuff, or for the right deal and who readily referred people to the right dealer for stuff he didn't want. An aspect that I don't think was seen all that often because it was done quickly and quietly. Quick glance, "It's not for me but see X, he'll give you the best offer. " Maybe that was because of the small size of the show, I don't know.

And he was a big part of getting stuff out of attics and into the hobby.

The rest I may have mentioned before, and doesn't really belong here, so maybe another time.

Steve B