View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If I were ya'll I would consider finding a way to allow more bidders. The smaller the audience the less the prices attained, in my experiences. Good luck!!
While I understand all the arguments FOR alternative bidding, I feel very strongly about being a contrarian thinker on this topic. Now realize we don't handle 5 and 6 figure items, at least in the 15 years I've been around the auction, but there is a big enough well-heeled dealer and collector population base in the area (and on our lists) that when we have nice items they sell appropriately.

The company wouldn't have lasted over 33 years leaving a trail of disgruntled consignors! Oh and over 90% of each auction IS consigned, not filled by the auction company. Of COURSE if we ever had a Holy Grail type item that issue would be visited separately, but on sets even up to several thousand I think being able to look at every single card in hand offsets a large amount of the benefit of reaching everyone but only with online images. The auction has done quite well over the years with high-end vintage sets.

Also with this new-found Card Show auction business, what good do we do a promoter if we allow people not present to bid? I think the commitment to, and experience in, the live-only arena certainly helped my pitch to someone whose main interest is attracting dealers and attendees.

Trust me none of this has been done without a lot of forethought, yet I am also not the kind of person who can't adapt. If the time should come that the evidence is proving that my thinking is wrong I won't go down cursing the world for being stupid, I'll adapt!

On a lighter note there is a STUNNING 1914 Cracker Jack Moriarty going into the March auction that blows me away. Sending that for grading just so I can be sure I'm not missing something!

PM me with questions or to get on the email list!

Scott
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions