Thread: Feedback
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Barry Arnold

Default 2 videos

I,too, enjoyed your offerings. I'm weak in this area of scholarship and have been eager to see presentations such as these for some time now.
Noting that your wife's critique was so well done, I thought I'd add my own.

I was so 'hungry' to see cards and was disappointed that there were none shown in the intro. video of 15 minutes or so. I had the same 'hunger' as I turned to the second video and waited around 8 minutes or so before seeing, admittedly, some absolutely gorgeous cards. After a bit, you presented your 'one of ones' which were exquisite. Please don't wait so long for us to see your fine collection. Then we can see more and more and more!

I would offer a few more suggestions which you may wish to incubate a bit.
I'd like to see more of your collection on those shelves behind you!!! Perhaps a change of set design might be helpful.
You swing your chair 'to and fro' and scratch your nose a bit much. I'm sure you weren't aware of doing so but now you know.
Your presentation of your cards to the camera needs work. Perhaps putting them on a small stand or the like would help you not move the cards around so quickly and give the observer more of a chance to relish them. Perhaps there would be some way to leave them on the table off to your side so that we could continue to see them.

Very positively, your diction is clear and precise. I was pleased to see you stay focused on the history and scholarship with minimal 'ad libs' and limited excursus.
Your use of the original language of the cards at times was most pleasing.
Your recap (summary) was quite helpful. I hope to see these continue. I
appreciated your underscoring the rarity of your collection without any arrogance or ostentatious self-absorption. In fact, I applaud this.

Bottom line, I'm eager to see more of the videos. Congratulations on this very needed offering, Al.
My several cents,
all the best,
Barry