View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Bob C.

That is a pretty obscure set and not one that most collector's take to since as Gary pointed out, they are merely cut-outs from the newspaper. Many don't consider them as cards as such. However, seeing as how they are nothing more than newspaper print, they are much more fragile than cards from the same period and as such, lucky to have survived as long as they have. I think you see most examples out there, of the very few that do ever come up for sale, survived because they were glued into a scrapbook at some point. So as Gary pointed out, I don't think you'll see a huge difference in value from a Rinkydink stamp that was pasted in a scrap book and one that was not.

Also, one interesting thing from Gary's posting of the two different versions of the Rinkydink stamps he has of Ruth is that you can also see they came in two different sizes. I believe that when you look at the listing for these in the big Sports Collectors - Standard Catalog, they only list these stamps as being one size, about 1-1/4" x 1-1/2". I'm not aware of any difference in rarity or value due to the size, and don't really think it effects the pricing much, if any, for any individual player. Just out of curiosity, are the stamps you're looking at all the same size? Being all of one size would probably be a little better for display purposes.

As Gary mentioned, there are 10 different players represented in the set, all HOFers. Along with Ruth it includes the likes of Cobb, Johnson and Speaker, amongst the rest. In good condition I think Gary's estimate for a Rinkydink stamp of Ruth is in the ballpark. That being the case, I would guess a comparable condition Cobb would be in the $150 range, with the remaining HOFers anywhere from about $60 to $100 each. For top price you would probably want whoever cut the stamp out to have not trimmed the edges and leave plenty of border around the stamp itself. I actually have a complete set of the stamps but, not all of one size. Also, some are pasted onto a scrapbook page while some are not. I got them at different times from different sources. Still, they are pretty rare to find and individual Rinkydink stamps don't come up for sale that often, let alone the entire set all at once.

Here's a couple I picked up at the National in Atlantic City last year. On these you can see what I mean about someone doing a not so great job of cutting them out of the paper. Still, if you can get the whole set at once for a decent price, I think it is a great pickup. Good luck.

BobC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RinkyDink Stamps - Collins & Harris.jpg (75.5 KB, 141 views)