View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I may be in a very very small minority here, but I thought the book was a mixed bag. While some of the chapters were very good and a few riveting, I found a good chunk of it to be just old guys telling the same old war stories that seemed sketchy at best. A lot of the book sounded to me like barroom tales of days gone by of very dubious veracity. Maybe I've read too many books on the limitations of human memory. After a few years you are basically hearing fictional recreation. Never mind 60 years ago.
Steve,

I generally tend to agree with you, but when you hear the emotion of Davey Jones telling about his first shoes, or the intelligence of Snodgrass as he recounts the play which became known as the Snodgrass Boner, it actually brings their stories to life. One of the guys I could never quite figure out was Goose Goslin - but hearing him recount some of the stories in 1st person, you start to believe this is a guy who could wander off and sleep through the night on a boat while fishing.....and miss a key start. The emotions and personality that come through the audio version are key to understanding their personality. JMO

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 01-11-2017 at 03:08 PM. Reason: correction for poor grammar