Thread: Ridiculous
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
WAR is comparative tool of other players in the game at the same time. If you compare Pujols Black Ink for his first 5 years compared to Trout's (Trout couldn't lead a league in his first year since he only played 40 games) you see that Trout has a 25 compared to Pujols' 18.
Even comparing SLG rank over the 5 years Trout ranked at an average of 3rd for the league, Pujols average rank was 4.6. So even though Pujols numbers are higher he wasn't the better player when compared to his counterparts (if you base it off these type of stats).
I am kinda starting to understand this, but not really. So because Pujols was playing at a time when there was much better players compared now he is somehow considered a worse player than a guy that put up worse #'s.

Andy(or anybody else) if you would like to PM me sometime to try to explain this stuff a little better I would greatly appreciate it. It just makes no sense to me at all. If there is a good website that explains all this stuff in a for dummies way that would be great also.

I could see how WAR and the Black Ink would work great for players playing at the same time and position but using it to compare players of different positions and years makes no sense to me.