View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 06:49 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Chris, that's really interesting, thank you for sharing. I have written here before about my personal affection for certain styles of 50s pennants. That Reds logo was used on Keezer pennants, many (but not all) of which were stamped on the back by the manufacturer. Keezer made pennants spanning, at least, from '53 from '65, as they made Phila A's and Houston Astros. (Have also seen Keezer STL Browns - very rare, I have a mini version - but not Boston Braves.)

The same Reds logo appears in the 1956 book "Inside Baseball for Little Leaguers" (top left) along with most others from a different pennant series that seemed to be made in the early 50s, see those form my collection (top right). I believe these date to the early 50s based on a Cubs variation that celebrates their 75th anniversary in 1951; also the fact that the Phila A's and Browns are in this "series" but not the Orioles. 12 of the 16 logos from the book appear on these pennants, with the exception of the Phillies (used Blue Jay instead), White Sox (diff sock variation), Orioles, and my very favorite; the Reds, which begs for more explanation. It's cut off a bit in my picture but see my avatar ... can someone explain the bomb to me? See bottom left for a very old Reds design (hardly a logo) from the turn of the century? which again depicts a bomb-yielding Cincinnati Red.

So yeah, this is the stuff I wonder about ... not quite "What is the meaning of life?" but it keeps me entertained ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logos.jpg (20.9 KB, 331 views)