View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I won one item also (the 1930 Yankees team photo). I believe the others have given really good descriptions of the auction. I just wanted to add that Christies does charge sales tax in a few different states, which might not be immediately obvious: NY, CA, FL, IL, RI, TX. In addition, you can charge up to $50K on your credit card for your winnings. Most auction houses only limit CC to $2-3K, so Christies does allow significantly more. One of the reasons their BP is so high, I guess.
Well done on the cabinet!

Jay cee.. You nailed a lot of my thoughts. The estimates were worthless. The only thing I could come up with is they went off of what the consigner had in them. They made no sense (in the photo auction anyway). And I believe this must have cost them money.
Also, it absolutely amazes me that auction houses continue to leave out the back scans. It is at minimum, 75 percent of how one can tell what a photo is online. It's absolutely ridiculous.
As much as I loved this format, I have a feeling there will be many disappointed people when they receive their photos if they thinking they are type 1s. I am not saying the majority or even half but I will guess double digit percentages.
I could tell just off the fronts and the sizes that some were problematic.
I will give Christies a bit of a pass on this as it is not their wheelhouse of items but there is NO EXCUSE for sports centric auction houses to leave back scans out of photo lots. ZERO. If they do, it must be by design and not for the bidder's/customer's well being at hand.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 10-21-2016 at 10:59 PM.