View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 03:04 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Only time will tell, but IMO it doesn't bode well that most kids today could care less about material items. They should be called the "Minimalist" generation instead of "Millennials". Their lives revolve around electronics. Their phones, video games, computer, et cetera. My son has zero interest in my collection and I doubt my daughter will care either. Now, I don't think the bottom will fall out as I think there will always be a certain segment of society that collects things and baseball isn't exactly Pogs and Beanie Babies. I just don't necessarily think 500K for a Mantle Jersey is going to hold up forever.

I own a vintage toy store and there is no longer much interest at all in toys older than the 1960s with a few exceptions. I have a customer who is in his 90s who has the most incredible cast iron toy collection you could imagine. He wants to sell it, but he wants 1980s prices. All of his customers are dead. Try selling cowboy and western toys from the 1950s, those Baby Boomers are past the collecting stage of life. Hopalong has left the building.
When I was a teen, like my son, I didn't have much interest either but obviously that changed when I got older.

It's a hit or miss if my son, or other kids, will take it up, but maybe like me, thinking back about my Dad's Beehive hockey card collection, (that I didn't care much about) as I got older, maybe they will?

I know nothing about the toy collector market, but like everything else did over the years, maybe it's just in a lull at the moment?