View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Sports memorabilia market

The high end sports memorabilia market is currently the hottest it's ever been. Vintage baseball memorabilia in particular has been setting record prices annually, from Babe Ruth's 1920 jersey selling for over $4 million, to Lou Gehrig's 1927 jersey going for over $700,000, to Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays jerseys selling in the $250,000 range.

I was talking with a few of my collecting buddies the other day, and we were all wondering if this is the true peak of this market, or if it could possibly continue growing over time.

One of the things we discussed was whether or not the millennial generation will ever collect the way we do. Will kids today ever be interested in game worn jerseys of guys that played 100 years before they were born? If so, will they be willing to drop the kind of money on these items that people are paying today?

I guess my main question is, will we look back on the current market 30 years from now and go "what the hell were people thinking paying those outrageous prices?"

Or will we look back 30 years from now and go "man I wish I had a time machine to go back and pay those crazy low 2016 prices"

In addition, are there any players that you believe are more prone to being forgotten about over time? As an example, will kids 50 years from now even know or care about who Mickey Mantle was?
Are there any guys you believe have the ability to transcend these potential issues because of their legendary status?

Just curious to hear what kind of opinions you guys have on this.