View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 View Post
It would be nice if Ebay (or PWCC for that matter) would block sniper software so auction items would be won in a fair bidding process, as compared to losing an item you have been winning for 6 days and losing it with one second to go in the auction. That is my biggest issue, who has not lost an item with seconds to go and felt "ripped off "by some high-tech computer sniper software that is nothing short "illegal". Only solution..if you can't beat em..join em.
One solution to this problem ......, you should be "blocked" from bidding, if you have never bid on the item in the last 10 minutes before the auction ends.
This solution at the very least,would allow the seller get higher prices for items for sale, as opposed to a prospective bidder getting "blocked out" by the bidding ending with 1 second left in the auction due to sniper software.
Nope, gotta call BS on this one. Blocking late bidders doesn't raise prices; at most it makes people bid earlier. If you snipe you put in a max bid that is executed in the last several seconds of the auction. That max bid is your choice, and that doesn't change regardless of the closing time.

Sniping software is popular because it prevents shilling: if I don't bid until the last few seconds, no one can shill me because there is nothing to run up. Also, I bid on stuff from all over the world, with closing times in various zones. And I have a business to run. I don't have the opportunity to sit on an auction close, especially if it is on the East Coast or overseas, so a snipe program frees me from having to pay attention to specific closes. I lodge my snipe with the service and forget about it until the auction ends.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-10-2016 at 04:58 PM.