View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 06:58 AM
Nick J@yj@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineTar5 View Post
I heard about UniKeep binders on this forum and was interested so I tried 5.

For info see unikeep.com

Pros:
- pages lie flat in a closed plastic case for dense stacking
- similar to a binder in a slip case but lower cost
- you can customize the cover art

Cons:
- 9-pocket Ultra Pro pages fit snug in case and the case has support bars and catches that rub the top & bottom edges. I worry that if cards slid up towards to top open edge they would get damaged (less an issue for archiving).

My current preference is for Ultra Pro (or similar D-Ring office binders in old USPS Flat Rate boxes cut to size as the slip case.
I have over 50 of those UniKeep binders filled with cards in 9-pocket Ultra Pro pages. I store the binders vertically on bookshelf just like books. The issue you mention regarding those tiny tabs has been non-existent for me after more than 3 or 4 years of storage. I just checked a 1975 Topps baseball set that I've had in the binders (I have the set broken in half in two of the binders) for about 4 years now. The cards are still as fresh as the day I put them in there. The cards just don't move around like you describe, and on the bottom edge there is enough border material such that any tiny deflection (and it's tiny) caused by those tabs stays in the immediate area of those tabs and does not rise up to the card area and bend the cards.

I suppose if you shake the binder violently, the cards could rise up and strike the edges, but no one would do that as a routine matter.

I've used o-ring binders in the past, and hate them, because the metal o-rings, especially the middle one, will press against the left edge and surface of the first card of each row of the pocket page when the binders are stored flat and stacked. I suppose this would not happen with D-binders where the pages are unable to get under the ring, so to speak.

Anyway, that's been my experience with binders.

Last edited by Nick55; 09-25-2016 at 10:56 AM. Reason: changed d-ring to o-ring