View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Bob C.

Thanks Leon,

I had not heard of the Atlanta- Georgia paper having them before this. Someone else posted they thought they were in a Chicago paper also but, I've never seen a Sports Stamp from a Chicago publication, and given the size of Chicago you would think that at least a few would have survived till today.

I can definitely confirm that the Sports Stamps were in the LA Examiner as I have a pretty good sample of them. In fact the ones I have were often way over cut and included tops of the pages referencing the paper and the date. And for the ones I have that don't include a date, whoever cut them out went to the trouble of penciling on the date of the paper they were cut from, so I can actually reference the exact days they appeared in that paper. The ones I have all seem to be from August of 1936, and they include more than just major league ballplayers on the Sports Stamps. I've also got a few race car drivers, a couple football players and boxers, and even a wrestling promoter and a boxing promoter.

The ballplayers are not all just current major league players either and include players and managers from various Pacific Coast teams. Because of their inclusion and specific reference to the Pacific Coast League, it doesn't look like these Sports Stamps subjects were selected and printed in all the Hearst papers across the country exactly the same way as another poster may have alluded to. I'm guessing the Sports Stamp subjects selected were regionally influenced and many may have been exclusively printed in the LA Examiner alone, or specific to the areas covered by the newspapers in other cities these Sports Stamps were printed in.

Sorry to the OP, wasn't trying to take over the thread. Hey Leon, this could be a good topic for a separate thread though. Thanks.