View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 03:31 PM

Default C. 1870's Football Tintype

I have a c. 1870's football tintype that I am throwing out on ebay late tonight. I've had this image for about 20 years and believe it to be quiet unique...and even possibly the earliest football tintype in the hobby. It's priced accordingly (sorry) but if somebody here on Net54 would want it for $875 before it goes live on ebay at 8:45pm I will sell it to them. Below is the ebay description:

Rob M

Circa 1870 tintype of 3 football players. Player in the middle holds a melon-style ball. All three college-aged young men sport long sleeve cotton shirts, full length pants, athletic style belts, neck kerchiefs, and possibly skull caps. Tintype is a quarter plate (roughly 3.25' x 4.25") that has some light bends. I placed it in a quarter plate case when I obtained it approximately 20 years ago. Uniforms are very similar to the print shown in the attached photos of the first college football game played on November 6th, 1869 between Princeton and Rutgers. I have searched and inquired over the last 20 years for an earlier example of a football tintype but have yet to see or hear of one.

Guaranteed an authentic 19th century tintype.

football tintype.jpg

Football tintype 2.jpg

Football 1869.jpg