Thread: New Collector
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 10:41 AM

Default New Collector

[Whoops, I made a newbie move and originally posted this in the wrong subforum (I thought I was in the right one, I swear!). Now correctly here in the "Intro" section]

Hey all,

New collector here. I collected as a kid in the 90s but mainly for completing sets. Those were eventually handed down as I got older and lost forever (based on some things I have read, they are not worth much nowadays anyways).

I have been putting off getting back into collecting for a few years but recently decided to take the plunge. I want to collect Topps Atlanta Braves from 1966 - ??? .

Not knowing anything, I walked into a hobby shop spent $15/card for a PSA 8 1998 Topps Lords of the Diamond Greg Maddux, PSA 9 1993 Bowman Chipper Jones foil, and PSA 10 1991 Topps Chipper Jones. I probably got fleeced on all three but I suppose it is part of the learning process. I had also bought a "blaster box" at Target of 2016 Topps Heritage but soon realized I wanted to do more targeted (pun not intended, but I'll take it!) collecting rather than ending up with a bunch of commons I have no interest in.

Would love recommendations as to how I can go about doing so. I know eBay is my best bet and I guess I should start hitting up card shows. I suppose starting at 1966 and working my way up is a good direction. My goals are to collect Topps Braves, as I said, and ideally for value when I can (graded Hank Aaron cards, etc.) and the occasional HOF or possible future HOF (Kris Bryant, etc.) if the opportunity arises.

In any case, I look forward to learning and discussing baseball cards with everyone as I weave my way through this somewhat daunting hobby.