Thread: Curious
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 10:35 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
Yesterday, between checking updates on the National I was perusing vintage cards on ebay. I noticed that the majority of cards had an asking price well north of the price listed in the SMR. I was not that surprised that prices were higher than book value (even commons). What did surprise me were that some cards (usually commons) were half of SMR. I almost pulled the trigger on a bunch of half price graded (PSA 5) cards! Have you saw a card and thought "this is a deal" and purchased a card even though you don't collect that particular set? It made me wonder if the seller was discounting the commons to get me on the hook, and once hooked I would have to come back and buy the boat (stars)!
i know sometimes if i am collecting a graded set and i come across a card i already have an its a great price i may buy it to flip it, but thats because i have following the market closing on sales on all the cards in the set...i dont rely on SMR, dont ever look at SMR as a buyer....

as a seller SMR can be useful if you are selling for less than SMR in your sales tactic though...