View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 05:33 PM

Yesterday I received my latest issue of SPORTS COLLECTORS DIGEST. It was the National Convention issue, traditionally their biggest of the year. It was a whopper---100 pages. Full of good articles---on the 1950 Philadelphia Phillie Whiz Kids, Connie Mack, 50-60s star and original Met Frank Thomas, a nice Bob Lemke piece, a National Convention article, Tristar Productions and the more than 130 autograph signers they're gonna have at the National, part one of a two-part article by George Vrechek on 70s collecting, where he interviewed Jeff Escue, a former collector who avidly pursued the hobby at the time (lots of other well-known 70s collectors are woven in--an absolutely delightful article), and a nice excerpt of my own book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. Stunning major auction house ads, and more.

Ten years ago, SCD's National issue wasn't anywhere as long. They're doing really well, considering they can't have the extra 200 pages worth of ads now to be found in eBay, and a few other places.

I recently spoke with Tom Bartsch and he said they'll be giving out the National Convention issue at the show. If you're planning to attend, stop by their booth. This definitely is an issue you won't want to miss!

As for "should I subscribe to SCD again?"

A resounding, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-01-2016 at 09:40 PM. Reason: missed identifying some major things