Bryan Bossa.rd

Default 1933 Goudey rarities

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Try this link for some interesting info:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=64056

Also, these quotes are from some old PSA articles:

Variations & Errors

Card #6 of Jimmy Dykes is the only known variation in the set. The card was originally produced showing Jimmy's age as 26 and was subsequently corrected to read 36. Neither variation carries a premium. The set is fairly mistake free and contains only minimal spelling errors which were common in the era of this production.

Another interesting note is that a singular copy of Leo Durocher's card number 147 actually exists with the number 106 printed on the reverse. The card was originally owned by hobby pioneer Woody Gelman and subsequently Barry Halper. It was auctioned in the now famous 1999 Sotheby's sale of the Halper collection. The write-up in the auction suggested that Gelman obtained the card directly from a contact at Goudey and that it was most likely a production proof as it appeared to be hand-cut. All of this simply adds more intrigue and lore to a truly special collectible in our hobby.

I love this set. Good luck with your quest! Rick

Thanks, Rick! I had read the articles as well and have been curious as to the Durocher 106 whereabouts since that auction long ago. I'm guessing it's off the market for a good while.

The Jimmy dykes variation stands as a testament as to how solid the production run was. One would think there'd be a handful of such variations.

I guess if one wants to go into the oddity space they should go to the premiums. I'm not a fan of them so maybe I'll pivot to a '34 set effort. after all , the '34 set feels like more of a variation on '33 than anything else Haha.

Last edited by BBB; 07-01-2016 at 05:12 PM.