View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Rather than say this set or that one, I'd state it as a strategy:

if you don't just have a pile of cash to commit to a marquee card, you have to flip and reinvest and hope you get it right enough to be able to logroll yourself into some really choice items. To paraphrase Willie Keeler: I try to buy 'em where they ain't. This stuff is cyclical. E cards, T206 errors, etc.; all smoking hot once. That's when to sell those items. I sold most of my prewar error cards into the teeth of the surge in interest in them; wish I'd sold them all. I look for cards that are rare in absolute numbers, that are of iconic figures, that are attractive, and that are out of vogue with the trendsetters. For short term, I also look for cards that are hot right now but in conditions just below ones that are soaring high, on the theory that the dramatic price increases in certain cards in high grade will translate into collectors adjusting downwards to nice examples of slightly lower grade cards and being willing to pay up some for them. Check the price trends on midgrade 1954 Aarons; they've had a pretty stellar ROI in the last 18 mos. for a modest entry cost.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-11-2016 at 05:25 PM.