View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Tom Boblitt

I graduated from the same high school here in Louisville, KY.....Central High.....as Ali. Although about 25 years later. It was an inner city High School and I was bused there in the early 1980's busing experiment. I met a ton of great people there and have life-long friendships as a result.

Some people think Ali stood behind Islam as a way to get out of service in Vietnam as if he just adopted that religion for that quick reason. Ali held fast to his beliefs on Islam until the day he died, so if he did just hang on to it for that reason, it was a sly 50-60 year ploy...

While I don't necessarily agree with the decision on Vietnam, I can't possibly fathom the strength it would take to make that stand and then lose everything you worked so hard to get and have the case hanging over you for many years before it was decided. I would hope I would have the same convictions to stand on something if I felt so strongly....

Not many minds are gonna be changed about Ali even after his passing. I think those who wanted to change them already have and many, like Leon said, take his whole life into consideration when rationally looking at any person. I know as a Louisvillian, Kentuckian and American, I'm proud of Ali and all he stood for. Our city, state, country and world is ultimately a better place because of it.

If you are ever in Louisville, there's an Ali Museum on Main Street in walking distance from the Louisville Slugger Museum. It's a fantastic place and about a 2 hour diversion, well worth the time.