View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I just looked up the population for PSA 10 Ozzies. Total pop is 4. Do you honestly believe the guy who won this card owns the other 3 and was trying to run the price of this card up to increase their value? That seems very unlikely.

I have heard the rumors of this pump and dump strategy. The cards this might make this strategy pay off are cards like the 86 Jordan, 55 Clemente, and 52 Mantle that have a high enough population and still hold some value at lower grades. Not 70s rookies with single digit PSA 10 populations.
The sale is probably not someone pumping up prices, but could be. And yes, that sort of ploy works better when you can gather up a lot of whatever you're boosting.

It's really easy with collectibles where the "value" is driven more by emotion than anything else. An almost purely demand driven market.

So having a 10 Ozzie Smith rookie sell for 33K puts it out of reach for many collectors, and they have to "settle" for a 9....Checking Ebay sold listings shows they're currently under 1000. With a sale of a 10 for 33, how long before they're higher?

Of course, while looking I found an article from 2012 about a 10 sold for 17,523 making it just over 20 with the bp. And then the 9s were only about 3-400. So both have just about doubled since then. I don't have access to price records between then and now, but I'd bet the jump for the 9s came fairly soon after the 20K sale. There'd be a bit of a delay for the bins at the old prices to sell, then there'd be a rise for a few months while dealers pushed the new inventory to a plateau which would stabilize.

The current price for a 9 is actually somewhat more expensive compared to a 10 than it was in 2012. If I had the money, I'd pick up a couple 9s soon.

Steve B