View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Neat set but has some (IMO) goofy/weird facial expressions esp. Mantle Snider Mathews Killebrew.
Peter, I beg to differ. I love all the poses and expressions. One of Mickey's biggest joys was batting; the photo portrays this. With Killebrew, I see his shyness, and intensity at the bat. With Mathews, he's looking at the umpire as if, "ah, come on, that one missed the plate"; but not too intense, as it would upset kids and perhaps get him sent "to the showers". Snider looks intense, as if he just took a close pitch he just didn't like enough to slam! These last three come off to me as game-action photos, for which the players will never strike a pose with a "now say cheese" smile.

As for the Memory Lane 1960 Home Run Derby PSA 7 Mantle, it appears to have been won at $23,060, including the 20% buyer's premium. While that price is roughly $5,800 less than the PSA 7 which sold late in 2015, the price point is still a deep home run. The specimen was not quite as well-centered as the one that sold last year, but it was indeed well-centered. I believe someone got a terrific card for a good price. That's a super tough and beautiful Mickey Mantle.

Wish more people had chimed in on this thread.

Regardless, take care, Peter. Have a good one. ---Brian Powell