View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM
David $tephens

From what I have seen the last few years with prices of all alternative investment products, there is a quasi-set order in which these products rise in value. In pre-war ball cards and other valuable sets we all know there is a finite amount of investment grade cards. If one set dries up, then the market will turn to the next set. I have watched T206, 1952 Topps, 1933 Goudey etc.. and there seems to be a pattern at which they have all attracted not just collectors but investment buyers. Cracker Jack cards fall into that category as well. In my humble opinion it was only a matter of time before the 1915 CJ cards took off. The same can be said for 1934 Goudey and T205 cards.

The trick as an investor is to treat it like real estate. You have to buy short and hedge on the fact that whatever is hot now will cool and your bought area will take off. The risk is: 1 How long before the movement? (Time is money) 2. Will the market move in your direction? 3. Will the market completely cool and you be left with property in a bad market? 4. It is a bubble and the cost of getting in to high? Even with all those risks, playing the Collectors market is far more fun than property or the stock market. Property is subject or fluctuations in taxation that can't be predicted over a long term. The stock market may not have tax issues like property, but its own risks warrant an entire library of books to property describe. In the collectors market you can simply put your assets in a box and forget about them for 25 years if you want

With that being said, anything is better than sticking your cash in the bank and collecting 1.5%.

Sorry for the long post.