View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 07:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The old (top loader) holders are often yellow, brittle and crack easily. I always change them out with the new holders with no pvc that will hurt the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's the album I bought in 74.

The next generation of pages was done by a couple companies, primarily Rotman which was/is in Worcester Mass. They were a waterbed company that moved into making hobby pages right as the hobby page market get going and the waterbed market was shrinking.

Made from PVC just like the waterbeds only clear. Flexible PVC has an oily plasticizer to make it flexible, and that usually isn't good for the cards or whatever else is in there. Some get stuck, but are removeable since it's just the air having been squeezed out from between the card and page. Others got wrecked by the plasticizer leaching out and getting into the card or removing some of the ink. The lucky ones had the page dry out and become a bit brittle.

The albums that were really horrible were the "magnetic" photo albums with the diagonal sticky lines on the page. Stuff always got stuck and removing nearly always ends up with paper loss. It's far worse with thin paper items. I bought a whole album full of old car ads in one of those, and eventually sent it on it's way intact since I couldn't remove any of the ads. I'd heard that putting the whole thing in the freezer would help, but not with that one.

Steve B