View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default "The Scooter"

Ok guys......say what you may regarding Rizzuto. Here's an anecdotal story that I would like to share with you.

April 1984, I was at Newark Airport going to Chicago on business. Standing in front of me at the ticket counter was Phil flying out to Comiskey Park.

I tapped him on the shoulder, and we started talking about our old neighborhood. We proceeded to the gate for our flight. Our flight was delayed
for a couple of hours and Phil kept bringing over coffee as we reminisced about our neighborhood, our families, and our neighbors. Phil and Cora
still lived in their modest English Tudor home in Hillside, NJ. At that time, I lived in Toms River (NJ).

We boarded the 737. I was back in coach and Phil was in 1st class. Then, I saw Phil approaching me. He invited me to sit in 1st class with him. It
was fine with the Stewardess.

For 2 hours, Phil and I were "talkin baseball". Or, I should say Phil did most of the talking and I did most of the listening. Phil enthusiastically told
me about many of the big name ballplayers he played with. I asked him about several of my favorites back the late 1940's and 1950's and he had
an interesting story for each of them.

The 2-hour flight wasn't enough, I could of listened to Phil for many hours and hours. The man was an awesome person to know. I fully agree with
Ted Williams....Phil was a very important factor in the Yankees Championship years (1941..1942..1947..1949 - 1953).

"That's all folks !"

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-20-2016 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Correct typo.