Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post

The magical 3,000 hits --------- him 1,518
The magical 500 HRs ----------- him 137
The magical 1,500 RBIs -------- him 734
Ok, looking at just those numbers.

3000 hits.

Rafael Palmeiro is the only player over 3000 that I think is unlikely to make the hall. Still a chance with the veterans committee, or whatever they'll have in a few years, but he's dropped off the ballot. He's also over the other two numbers with 569 HR and 1835 RBI.
The others over 3000 but not in are Rose, Jeter, and Arod. I figure Jeter and Arod will get in, Jeter quickly, Arod maybe eventually. Rose......Lets not go there and make this even more confusing. Should be based on stats, isn't but maybe someday.

500 HR.

There's a few guys over 500 who aren't in. PEDs are the stumbling block for most of them. Others are either still active or aren't eligible yet. I think a few of them will eventually get in.
That number used to be 400.
And that makes it more interesting. It was only fairly recently that there were players with more than 400 HR who didn't make the hall.
Darrell Evans 414
Juan Gonzalez 434
Dave Kingman 442
Jeff Bagwell 449
Jose Canseco 462
Fred McGriff 493

Plus a bunch of guys who aren't eligible yet or are still on the ballot.
McGriff not being in sort of surprises me, but maybe the steroids era really made 500 the special number.
Bagwell may still be on the ballot? I thought there was a limit to how many years someone could be on, and he's been on 6 years.

The other guys all had other things keeping them out. Canseco was a truly bad fielder, and had PED issues, although I think some of the knock against him is that he's been open about that which makes some people uncomfortable. Most of the others simply were too one dimensional, not having much besides HR power. Especially Kingman who I liked as a player. He did almost become the first player to hit 40HR while batting under .200 but had a late season streak of normal hitting and "ruined" it ending up at 37/.204 I always wanted the RedSox to sign him. If they had we'd all be wondering if even steroids could beat the single season record of 90 - Short left field at Fenway, and the wall being no obstruction to a guy who hit a load of 360 ft popups.

1500 Rbi

Mostly the same guys above, plus
Harold Baines 1628

Again leaving out guys who could still get in.

Baines is an odd one, I'd think he should be in, but probably isn't because he wasn't really amazing, just a player who was average or above for 20 years with a few better seasons

I don't think most of those guys would be remotely close to Jackie Robinson, I haven't looked at comparing all the 162 game averages, but I'd bet there are very few that would even get close. Maybe Bagwell?174 hits /34/115/.297 Robinson 178 hits/16/86/.311 Ok, so he's close, more power, less average but pretty close. And I think Bagwell will eventually be in.

Steve B