View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 12:12 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basebill View Post
The sheer viciousness of the Cobb slide painting makes it one of my favorites. I don't think I'd want it hanging it my apartment though. All I see is the darkness in my soul every time I look at it. The '86 Mets team with the excited Gary Carter and the Mariano running out to the mound are my other two favorites.
Welcome to Net54, Billy H. I recognize you from GK's Facebook posse. The Cobb Sliding painting is the very first thing I see each morning on the way to the caffeine pot in the kitchen. Bought it from Graig and Dean about seven or eight years ago and my psyche is still wired reasonably tight. The structure of Conlon's photo and the way Graig perfectly realized it never fail to please. That being said, it's my second favorite Kreindler (that I own, anyway). Graig painted Horner's Joe Wood portrait on commission a few years ago. This painting messes with my mind. I can talk to it.

My very favorite Kreindler belongs to someone else. It is entitled "Beast Bangs Gomez" and shows Jimmie Foxx scoring after hitting his third consecutive home run of the day off of Lefty Gomez at Shibe Park in 1933. The bluesy feel, the physical movement, those god-wonderful baggy flannels. You could hate baseball and still love this painting.

Honorable Mention to the Matty portrait and to the 1917 Red Sox Ruth pitching on opening day, and to any Yankee Stadium painting from the 1950s. I was there and I'll vouch that Graig always nails the sunlight and shadows of that grand ball yard. You can smell the cigar smoke.

Last edited by Kawika; 04-11-2016 at 12:22 PM.