View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 PM

So PSA finally checked in my submission that was shipped on feb 29 so now the 50 day wait for grades actually started. In the mean time I was hoping to look into his post and jello cards.

I started by putting all his 1963 bazooka all time greats into card savers.

Then I checked out a binder that had this.

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

It had a letter addressed to his aunt at his childhood home in South Chicago stuck inside as a bookmark.

Full Size

Back side has I think Czech writing but no idea what it says

Full Size

My dad was born in 1947 but my grandpa was born in 1917 so maybe the book was a handme down?

Anyways the reason I included the letter is because my dad was born on the south side of chicago and lived there til my grandparents bought a farm in Aurora when he was six. As a result he is a White Sox fan.

He collected a bunch of cards but he made binders of just White Sox Players and occasional Cubs players without much organization.

So you have pages like this

Full Size

Full Size

In the same book as pages like this

Full Size

which explain some holes in the 1962 set that was in the boxes

He also like to connect to kids through baseball when he was a principal and he would organize fieldtrips and special days like Kite Day and Baseball day for the whole school. I have a feeling this was sent to him in that capacity but he thought it was neat and laminated and saved it.

Full Size

On to the post cards, they are a bit confusing so I decided to put everything in card savers so I can handle them to figure out what he has.

Full Size

He had a pretty steady hand as a kid because most of the cards are very nicely cut. But on many he cut along the border rather than around it so I'm not sure how something like this grades exactly. I'll probably send in a few stars and see how they come back. I asked him how he cut them so well and he said he borrowed Grandma's sewing scissors. Once she found out and calmed down, she made him buy her a new pair and he kept the old ones to cut out cards with.

Full size

I filled 2 card saver boxes and ran out of card savers with a small pile of 1962 post yet to go.

I did get a chance to look everything over. He has a bunch of 1962 Post, many 1963 post, and smatterings of 1961 post and 1963 jello. Naturally being from the Chicagoland area he has 10 of the rare 1962 test market Jello cards as well.

Full Size

Last edited by capricesquad; 03-16-2016 at 07:03 PM.