View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 09:50 PM

I tend to agree with Jesse, among others. Is this card intended to be part of T206? If the answer is yes, then (at best) this card is another red portrait Cobb with a tough back. I thought that was a given, but apparently not?

Considering the fact that no other subjects exist with the Ty Cobb back, I agree with those that consider this a separately issued (likely regional to the GA area) premium that was inserted into a short-lived Ty Cobb tobacco product, tin or otherwise.

Here's the thing... this "set" we all refer to as T206 was never intended to be issued as a set by the manufacturers. Burdick was the one that grouped these advertising cards into a baseball card set. He could have just as easily chosen to separate each advertising back into its own "set" and could've given them names like T206-SC, or T206-P, or T206-D (for Drum), and that's how we'd collect them today.

My point being that it doesn't really matter if the Ty Cobb with Ty Cobb back should be considered part of the T206 set. The fact remains that it wasn't included in the set by the guy who wrote the book and basically invented the concept of the T206 set as we collect it today.

I agree with what Ted said himself back in '09...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: Ted ZanidakisSo, my guess is that the Ty Cobb back card stands alone as an advertising premium for the
Ty Cobb pipe tobacco. And, that it was privately distributed in limited quantities in late 1910
or early 1911, concurrent with the T206 Red portrait Ty Cobb card. Which was issued during
this period with 24 different T-backs (more than any other T206 Subject).

The Ty Cobb/Ty Cobb card would then be the 25th back on Cobb's Red portrait cards. Having
said that; though, I am not inferring that this card is part of the T206 set.

TED Z