View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 12:28 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post
And speaking of "The Trader Speaks".... Does anyone know what became of Dan Dishley? He was very kind, patient and supportive of a passionate 12 year-old collector (me). If I remember correctly, he took an early retirement from the NYPD in the late 1970s, so that he could devote full-time hours to "The Trader Speaks."
George Vrechek interviewed Dischley in 2010 for a Sports Collectors Digest article on 1970s hobby publications, at which time he was 65 and living in Concord, North Carolina. From the article, available on the Old Baseball site:

I was able to reach 65-year-old Dan Dischley in Concord, North Carolina. Dan moved there from New York in 2007. He is still active putting together “career albums” for former major league players and hobbyists. The albums contain photos, stats, autographs, and cards. Surprisingly, Dan said he wasn’t a card collector –although he did own five Wagners at one time or another. He was interested in the Cincinnati Reds, autographs, and particularly photographs. Through family, neighbors, and word-of-mouth he got to know major leaguers like Cal Abrams, Mickey McDermott, Mickey Grasso, Wes Westrum, Pete Rose, and Gus Bell. He saw a hobby publication in 1968 and thought that he could do a better job of publishing a paper –and he did. He recognized the importance of timely delivery in order to attract auctions and advertisers and he worked hard. He seemed to be at the right place at the right time with TTS. The major people in the hobby came his way. He mentioned Bill Haber, Barry Halper, Pat Quinn, Irv Lerner, Larry Fritsch, and dozens of others. Dan said he “got in early and....gave them what they wanted.”

Dan was bothered by dishonesty he was finding in the hobby and grew tired of the long hours to put out TTS. After turning TTS over to Jackson, he went into the vending machine business and other activities including serious pool and poker. I mentioned that I liked the TTS covers and asked who designed them. “I designed them, usually about 5 minutes before the issue went to the printer I grabbed whatever I thought would work,” he answered. Dan Dischley is an interesting pioneer who dealt with practically everyone in the hobby.

http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/70s_...blications.pdf