View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 08:52 AM

I always laugh when this question comes up because 99% of people frame it as those players coming to play now and not being able to keep up with the speed.

If you could transport a current player back to that period, I don't think there is a single Major League player today who would last an entire season in the 1880's, let alone be a star. They would probably fear for their lives and not be able to adjust to life without all the amenities. Imagine someone now going to play a summer game in those uniforms under those conditions. They would be waving a white flag by June 1st. But on the opposite end, someone from that era might be overwhelmed by how pampered the players are now.

As far as a team of Net54 All-Stars, I can't imagine we would have a shot in hell against them and you can bet when I say "we" that I'd be playing in that game if it could happen. You have to remember how small the majors were back then and how popular baseball was, so there weren't many bad players in the league like there are now.

Then you look at the disaster some players turned out to be when given a trial. Michael Corcoran is a great example. He was the brother of the team's star pitcher in 1884 for the White Stockings, and he was also a minor league pitcher at the time. He gave up 14 runs to the 28-84 Detroit Wolverines. If a 25-year-old minor leaguer got crushed by the worst MLB team, what chance would the Net54 Keyboard Warriors have.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS