View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
Hi Ken,

As a postal employee and collector myself I hate seeing threads like this. Believe me, I'm not rep for the USPS. I enjoy my job and do take it seriously. As a collector, I'm still prone to poor service just like anyone else. I recently had a bat mailed to me from northern Illinois by Priority Mail 3-Day.

It was sent out January 9th and received 2 scans that day (acceptance, and departed post office). The next scans it received were on January 18th when it arrived at the destination facility 45 minutes from my hometown. It departed that facility on the 18th and arrived at the post office on January 19th....which was day #10. I was glad it arrived safely, but I was frustrated with the lack of movement or scanning for 8 of those 10 days. To me, there's just not explanation or excuse for it. Someone dropped the ball. 10 days travel from Illinois to Wisconsin (with a stop in Minnesota) is embarrassing.

In the case of your package I'm not sure that it had gotten run over. Looks like a padded mailer with bubble wrap on the inside? I think the pattern you are seeing could be sort of a "pencil rubbing" effect from the package being pressed in place in transit next to dirty packages or the sides of equipment and it picked up the pattern of the bubble wrap inside.

[Edited to add:] Many times when the packages travel from the sort facility to the local post office if they aren't in a sack they are just loose in the APCs. They can be mixed in with bundles of newspapers and the newspaper print gets dirty pretty quickly. [End Edit]

Having worked with mail equipment I feel pretty strongly that if that package had been run over by a wheel the case inside would have been cracked or shattered.

I am glad it arrived safely and in once piece. If I can ever be of any assistance with a package in transit feel free to email me or send me a private message and I'll offer what advice or help I can.
Bat,

Not your fault and the sender packaged it well and no foul no harm. The point is that a package marked fragile should be treated that way. This is not the first time I have received mail this way and in general the postal people do a good job. It is pretty clear in this case that a package marked as fragile was mishandled. I do not think this was intentional but a service is paid for by the sender and it was clearly not delivered. I am sure you and most postal workers take your job seriously as I do mine, but not all do which leads to things like this.

Kmac