View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 PM

Saw that too. Pretty sure the card price is driven by that one collector. I remember years back when I needed the 1953 Haddix rc to finish that set. I put ridiculous bid after ridiculous bid in for the card ... and was always the runner up because Gary Alberelli was buying that card as a key piece of the big lots he was selling on Ebay. He thought the card was a key card for the set given the huge prices they were going for. In reality, he was just stopping me from completing my set and I was bidding him through the roof on the card. I finally wrote him and asked him to let me win one, with a promise I wouldn't bid him up in the future. I think the price of the card fell 50% almost immediately!

And I agree with you. I'd short this card like crazy. Although I must admit, I'd interested in seeing how much he'd go for the red overprint version. And if folks don't know what I mean, one of the high number sheets had a run where the red on back was printed in excess, and blurred out most of the white lettering on back. I know there are about 4-5 of these still out there - including the one on Ebay that has been offered at $1,000 for a long time. This card is truly a one of a kind Bartirome card, and happens to be in nice condition. I wonder how high he would go for that!

Cheers,
Patrick