View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 08:04 PM
David Ribbens

More information from the seller 419zanzibar69 on his 1909 Polar Bear Tobacco Pouch, interesting exchange related to Polar "pack"

POLAR BEAR Tobacco Packet 1909 UNOPENED 1oz SAMPLE POUCH T206 T205 baseball pack #361460879103 advertised on Ebay.

.....quote....But one thing I must point out about this pack is it's pre-Lorillard and pre-ATC deregulation of 1911.
I am sorry for not going into greater detail. In 1911, the ATC (American Tobacco Co) was broken up. Shares of the ATC were divided between several brands. Lorillard was one of those brands. So was Philip Morris, Liggett & Myers and RJ Reynolds.

And of course, stamps and legalities could possibly give a potential estimate. I always sold them for the correct T206-T205 era, and nothing more. I hope some of that makes sense. I love this hobby.

Red stamp or not, there is only one true way to find out for sure. Right? I could never, nor anyone else no matter how big of an expert they claim to be, can say for sure what is inside beside 105+ year old tobacco or cigarettes. Unfortunately, as a cigarette and tobacco expert, there is no way for sure to tell. Here are some indications, like whether a pack found from the same carton or case contained premiums. And good chances are anyone who guarantees anything inside really has no idea.