View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 02:10 PM

Default HOF Visit

You will have an awesome time. I took my son last year for our first HOF visit from Houston (Biggio).
Airfare: I travel quite a bit for business so we flew from Houston to Albany. Easy flight.
Hotel: We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Oneanta (~30 minutes away from HOF). Make reservations today if you are going to attend. I was a HH member, used points and our hotel was free.
My wife surprised me with a Presidents Circle HOF membership that has some key benefits including free entry into the HOF, HOF ceremonies, early entry, merchandise discounts, etc. It is somewhat costly ($500) however worth every penny - helps you avoid long lines at HOF and reserved seating at HOF ceremonies. We went to the HOF every morning Friday-Monday with almost no one in the HOF for ~1 hour.
- We would get up early, have breakfast at the hotel or drive into Cooperstown. Free parking on all the side streets if you get there early enough - you save $10-$25/per day for parking.
- Comfortable shoes, sun screen, pack a cooler with lunch, fruit, water and eat down by the lake.
- Go to the post office directly across from the HOF on Sunday AM to get all your pieces stamped (HOF postcards, magazines, balls, etc.)
- Doubleday Field, Cooperstown Diner, Schneider's Bakery - all a must. Many cool shops however most are pretty expensive for autos or memorabilia.
- One member on this board has a card show on Main St. during HOF weekend - we went a few times.
- I did not get any autographs since I have all the living HOF'ers. Very costly however you can go up to the players and have a discussion - very open. Let me know if you have any questions - Tony