Thread: Pete Rose Poll
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 07:16 PM

Default My two cents

Some thoughts:

1) MLB doesn't control the HOF. The Hall can choose to do what it wants or doesn't want with Pete Rose.

2) At the time Rose committed his offenses, the HOF had no policy in place barring those on the lifetime ineligibility list. Voters decided. Shoeless Joe isn't in not because of a policy, but because the voters did not elect him.

3) Rose, arrogantly, probably didn't think not getting into the Hall was an option. The Hall had no policy (as detailed above) when Rose agreed to his ban.

4) Shoeless Joe is dead. His lifetime is over. The Veterans Committee should be able to nominate him if they chose to, correct? (Note - I don't know the exact phrasing of the Hall's policy on banned players.)

5) The Hall could easily tell the story. Induct Rose. Give him a plaque with whatever language tells the story. The Hall could also simply do this and deny Rose an induction weekend appearance and speech. Put him in, but don't give Rose the dais from which to speak. No admittance to the inductee events. Just a press release, without fanfare.

6) As to #5 above, if the PED issues are troublesome, similar procedures could take place allowing the Hall to tell the story, recognize real and artificial excellence, but not allow certain individuals their moment in the limelight. No party for them.

7) As to the past, tell the whole story within the proper context. Plaques can be amended. An entire exhibit could be created showing the evolution of (il)legal enhancements, rule bending/breaking, etc. This would cover modern PEDs, greenies, corked bats, spitballs, sharpened spikes, pine tar, gambling, throwing games, ownership collusion, and anything else that might be in this vein.

As to my personal position, I grew up watching Pete Rose and having him as my childhood athletic idol. I defended him and his actions for years, bought and read his books, had him sign his rookie card at a show in the mid-80s (he checked if it was real). The Hall "protected" itself from the voters by barring Rose from the formal ballot. I get it. I think the story should be told. Put him in.

Thanks for reading.

Mike