View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 11:07 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Default Lifetime Authenticity Guarantee

I have not seen this topic addressed before but I was wondering what should a lifetime authenticity guarantee mean?
I am not talking about items with PSA or JSA certs or on eBay . I am talking about items that all of us have bought at shows , through dealers , through private signings , through auction houses that came with Lifetime Guarantee certs from the dealer/vendor or on their receipts or in their ads or on their auction house letterhead / receipts . Remember no PSA or JSA certs.
For most collectors at the present this may seem strange not to have a TPA Letter from PSA or JSA but in the old days pre PSA and pre JSA that is how it was done.
So addressing this should the Lifetime Guarantee be or better stated what defines Lifetime :
1. For the life of the seller OR his business ?
2. For the life of the buyer ?
3. For the life of the item ?
4. For the life of the original consignor of the item to the seller or auction ( that is the original source of the autograph) ?
5. For the life of not the primary buyer who later sold the item again but the life of the secondary or tertiary or later buyer?
Also what should be the recourse if the lifetime guarantee is called into question?
A full refund regardless of length of time since purchase ?
A full credit to the buyer from the seller after a certain period of time after the purchase ?
A combination refund and credit?
Submission to the gods at PSA or JSA to render their opinion , and who should pay for the submission , the buyer or seller ?
In our hobby we tend to accept a lot at face value but with the forgeries getting better , the overall number of items whether authentic or forged entering the market increasing , policing policies non - existent , big money involved , collectors with little or no knowledge buying , dealers with little or no knowledge selling, guestionable authenticity practices by auction houses as well as by JSA and PSA , and JSA and PSA becoming reluctant to authenticate some players unless they are on contracts or checks or legal documents should make a collector / dealer consider what a Lifetime Authenticity Guarantee really means. This obviously applies to baseball HoF ers autographs primarily but I feel it can apply to all baseball player autographs as well as other categories of autographs also.
Would love to hear opinions on this whether you agree or disagree .
Thanks