View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by AustinMike-----An example, the 1968 Topps game card. Like Chris said, the supply of the 1968 Topps game card exceeds the demand, hence it has a low "price." Is it undervalued? No, not according to today's demand. Will demand increase for this card in the future? It's anyone's guess. In my opinion, there are enough cards out there that, I think, the demand for this card will be met for some time to come.

YES, THAT'S FOR SURE. FOR A FREEBIE IN A 1967 TOPPS NICKEL WAX PACK, HOW IN THE WORLD DID WE COME TO HAVE SO MANY OF 'EM? WHEREAS, THE BASIC 1964 COINS ARE MUCH TOUGHER. THE ALL-STARS SEEM MUCH MORE PLENTIFUL.

There are some cards that may not have a large supply, but they are butt ugly and only a completest would want it (e.g., the 1965 Bancroft Tiddlers Giants of Sport (that's just my own personal opinion)). I can't ever see a card like this being in high demand.

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, BROTHER. 1965 TOPPS PUSH-PULL, TOPPS WHO AM I?, 1965 TOPPS EMBOSSED CAMEO, TOPPS PUNCH-OUT, and a few etcetras.

Generally, I'm a pessimist in regards to the long-term "value" of Mantle cards and I'm amazed at the price increases I've seen. I'm also disappointed; there are still a bunch of his cards I'd like to get and I hate to see their "value" increasing before I can get them. [/QUOTE]

YOU GOT THAT OH SO RIGHT AGAIN, BRO. WISH I HAD HELD ONTO SOME OF MINE. WISH I HAD TRIED MUCH HARDER TO GET A FEW OF THEM YEARS AGO.

PART OF THE LIFE OF A COLLECTOR. IT HAPPENS. IT'S HARD; VERY HARD.

THANKS FOR A GOOD POST. ---Brian Powell

PS--The 1960 Post Cereal was the very first Mickey Mantle card I ever saw. I've got a very compelling story about the experience in my forthcoming book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. I don't want to tell it here for obvious reasons, and it may not be that compelling of a tale to some, but it left a huge impression on me as a little 6-year old boy. Did you happen to see the photo of an example PSA graded AUTHENTIC? The owner cut it on the inside black frame where it just shows the picture, and no wooden frame to be seen. Kinda like a beautiful Bengal Tiger with his teeth pulled out. Made me sick.

Last edited by brian1961; 11-20-2015 at 12:09 PM.