View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Val Kehl

Daniel, I currently own only the 3 cards pictured below. I once owned a few more of these Schapiras plus a few candy boxes, but I traded them to Leon some years ago. I don't know anything more about this set than has already been mentioned. SGC has graded a total of 20 of these cards, so they are quite scarce - I can't check the PSA pop report as PSA's web site is on the fritz right now.

All of the cards I own/owned have the horizontal crease, but, like Leon, I have seen a couple that had never been folded. If my Alzheimer's-like memory is correct, when I had the boxes, I did try to see if an unfolded card would fit into a candy box - if memory serves me correctly (and it often doesn't), it did not fit flat against a side of the box, but did fit very tightly in a diagonal fashion, which would make it more difficult to insert the candy. Leon, did you ever try to fit a Schapira card into a candy box?

I note that your WaJo card and my two WaJos are each miscut on the left side - I wonder if all the WaJo cards are like this. Speaking of WaJo cards, I submitted my WaJo card with the blemish near the lower left corner to SGC, but they wouldn't grade it (see their response below), which surprised me - I plan to take all three of my Schapiras to the upcoming Philly Show and try to convince SGC in person that they are all authentic.

Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schapira Bros trio - fronts.jpg (83.5 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Schapira Bros trio - backs.jpg (78.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Schapira Bros WaJo - SGC reject.jpg (66.7 KB, 172 views)