View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Don

One thing I will say about baseball icons, since this is a baseball forum is how could anyone not think Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player of all time?

I mean it's not even close. Ruth absolutely dominated every aspect of baseball. The man had over 700 home runs with a .342 lifetime batting average. The only person who even comes close to that type of power and average is Ted Williams.

But then, you have to consider that Ruth also won almost 100 games as a pitcher, with a 67% winning percentage and 2.28 ERA. In 1916 he went 23-12 and lead the league with a 1.75 ERA and 9 shutouts. He also beat Walter Johnson in 4 of their 5 duels that year.

Babe Ruth could have had a lifetime batting average of .215 and 37 home runs and easily been an HOF pitcher with 300+ wins.

I don't think this can be overstated. Babe Ruth absolutely dominated the entire game of baseball.

That's why I laugh to myself when people try and say Willie Mays or Hank Aaron, etc., etc., are the greatest players in baseball history. Yeah right. When Willie Mays raises his lifetime batting average 50 points and finds 100 wins as a pitcher, then we can discuss him even entering the same room with Ruth.

Ok, feel free to discuss.