View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Thanks for all the great advice!!

As Joe mentioned, it's really, really, really tough to get in touch with people on ebay unless you buy from or sell to those people. It was great, back in the day, when you could contact the winner of a big lot and ask if he/she would be willing to sell a piece or two from that lot. I understand why ebay made the instant communication impossible, but I sure do miss it.

As far as garage sales and local auctions, I guess I don't want to devote that much time. I know my wife doesn't want me devoting that much time . Since Salt Lake has never had a major league team, I'm not sure my time would be well spent.

The tip about picking up "trade bait" when you see it is a good one!
Lincoln, Nebraska has never had a major league team, but I've found a game used Tris Speaker bat, former major leaguer scrapbook, and I once attended an auction of a former major leaguer that was not advertised as such and picked up nearly all of his minor league memorabilia (Jack Bruner). I talked to the family at the sale and they let me come in the house to view his major league memorabilia which included his White Sox uniform. Not sure why they let go of all of his minor league stuff, but they did, and I got it cheap. Salt Lake City is almost as big as Lincoln, I gotta think there is stuff out there. Plus they did have a minor league team in the PCL so I'd be searching for that stuff. Put an ad on Craigslist, you never know.

A few items I've found at the local antique show in the last decade include:

-2 1898 Cameo Pepsin baseball pinbacks in mint condition
- 1898 Cameo Pepsin boxing pinback of John L Sullivan that was previously unknown (same seller as above)
-circa 1910 Portland PCL cabinet photo that was huge...the largest cabinet photo I've ever seen.
-Dogs Head cigarette pack in immaculate shape

Another great place to look for sports memorabilia is the local postcard/paper show. We have one twice a year in Omaha and I've found incredible items there...most of the dealers are aware that sports related postcards and paper are desirable, but I once picked up a Superior, Nebraska minor league RPPC with Dazzy Vance pictured on it for cheap because the dealer had no clue that it contained a future major league hall of famer on it.

This stuff is out there ready to be found, you just have to go get it...it's not going to come to you.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 11-03-2015 at 09:31 PM.