View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Bill Boyd

Don,
It is fun, and Dan, I am only selling off my collection to start collecting prewar cards. So I am not done with the hobby.
Here is the kicker. Now that I am trying to sell, I have fellow antique collectors wanting to sell me their cards. I told them not really interested, but I could not turn down one offer. Numerous binders of cards which included many cards from the 70s. And some from the 60s. About 8 to 10 thousand cards, most in binders, many stars, all for $150.
So instead of getting smaller, the collection grew quickly to about 85 thousand. Yea, I am stuck with a lot of early 90s proset football cards and a lots more cards from the 80s, but those 70 cards were well worth the $150. I even sold a complete binder of basketball cards already. As long as the price is right, they will buy, and I am close to making the $150 up already just from the cards I bought.
I don't want to do that too often, but other customers have asked if I am buying cards. Nothing form the 80s or later, is my answer.
My first full month without any advertising, I sold over $700 in cards and memorabilia.
Yes, an antique store. I know you cannot make a living on that amount, but being retired, and I don't really need the money, it is just a hobby and I am having fun, and getting a few sheckles for my pockets. Why not. And I only work there, one or two days a week. Other antique dealers sell my items for me as well as I sell their items. If they need me to give an answer regarding an offer to buy some of my items, they just call me.