View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
I'm a little confused about your post. You say that you did not post about the card to verify whether it's an original or a worthless copy. But then you say that you're on a "quest to verify the card 100%". What are you hoping to verify exactly?

You also mention that you're quite sure we're correct about our theory, but then you turn right around in the next sentence and say that you're certain your card is the same as mine. Yes, there are similarities between the two cards, but IMO, that is due to your card being a photocopied version of mine. The fact that your card displays the exact same flaws as mine (identical creases and little nicks), combined with it's exceptionally pixelly appearance (always a telltale sign of a forgery), leads me to say with 110% certainty that our two cards are not the same as one is real and the other is fake.

All that being said, I'd definitely encourage you to have it looked at professionally. I realize I'm just a random stranger on a message board and I don't expect you to put a lot of stock into what I'm saying. Peter was kind enough to volunteer to meet you at the Chicago show so I hope you're able to run into him there. It sounds like you've had the card awhile and you're excited about it, so you should definitely have it checked out in person if you feel strongly about it. But you might keep in mind what myself and others have told you already as I don't expect you'll be given good news in the end.
You are correct. The post sounds contradictory. It was typed quickly as I just wanted to use another photo to present. I had been looking for a similar card to mine that I hold for a very long time.....with no luck at all. Even of a different player....but same format. Frustrated, I learned of this board and within one day, I had my first description with photo of identical card and explanation where it may have originated from. My question was answered I am happy with that alone. Of course, my "quest" will not be conducted on this board but rather in the hands of an expert.

My card is not for sale (either because it is worthless and will be tossed or because there are not that many to which I would keep it).... and I am not pushing it on the board. So lets go back to the original question. You presented a card like mine. Same script/blank back/hand cut/ and even hint of an original red border as I have on mine. I am looking for others like these. So far you have the only one to refer to. My card continually is getting compared to yours. Does that alone set "the standard"? How about other fakes? Lets look at them. I haven't seen any of those either. Why are there none for sale as originals. Maybe I have the only fake one? Is it possible to get a bunch of pics of these together (authentic and fakes)? Someone even posted that they have seen other versions of this card. Where can I view a couple of them? Am I missing a site where these exact cards are listed? Maybe several different cards real and fake would explain the different print flaws.

Please do not take offence to any of the above by the way it is worded. I just think they are legitimate questions. Too many boards get chippy, sarcastic, and personal. I appreciate you and all others taking the time to post. So far, you have the ONLY one that compares.....so I take the conversation to you. And, again, your theory actually does shed light on the original question.....where did this style of card originate? But before I get to Chi town, I would like to see others. There have been a lot of opinions regarding my somewhat crappy scan. So to those people, please post links to other blank back versions.

I am still up for criticism. I can take it! I did not pay much for it and it will not change my life one bit either way. This is actually more interesting than I imagined it would be