Thread: October pickups
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 05:02 AM

Default Johnny Vander Meer consecutive no-hit innings streak ends at 21 1/3 innings

I recently managed to fill yet another hole in my Vandy collection want list that I have been looking for. I just picked up a neatly scored program and Grandstand ticket to the end of Vandy's consecutive no-hit inning streak in 1938.

After pitching his historic ML record back-to back no-hitters on June 11th and June 15th in 1938, Vander Meer and the Reds continued their road trip and boarded a train to Boston to play the Boston Bee's.

On June 19th, 1938, in the 1st game of a doubleheader, Vander Meer continued his historic no-hit streak. Facing the same team that he faced in his 1st no-hitter, he didn't allow a hit for another 3 1/3 innings until Debs Garms stroked a clean single to finally break it up. Ironically, Debs Garms was held out of Vandy's 1st no-hitter game on June 11th because he was a left handed hitter.

Vander Meer and the Reds prevailed in what was a decidedly lopsided game 14-1 over the Bee's.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-18-2015 at 05:10 AM.