View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 09:10 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

- Fro Joys, including the Tunney cards are very rare. Tunney more so, perhaps
- Distributed over a small time span, many survived due to Babe Ruth
- Beckett's population is inaccurate due to cracked slabs
- If a printing plate exists(ed), there'd be more
- Leon said E121 like paper for Fro Joys, and I agree.
- paper used for Fro Joys was also used for the high quality 1928 Ruth Candy cards, or at least remarkably simlar paper (not the sepia variations)

- If the #3 Ruth batting has bled through to the back from the darker spots on the front, in addition to the points below, its good (boxes connected of course)

- If you scan it at 800 dpi or higher and crop (zoom) into the picture part, you'll be able to tell by the dot pattern. Very high quality with perfect dots. The forgeries do not duplicate the pattern in the white areas, although the darker areas are strkingly similar.

- The better forgeries, which do not resemble the low quality singles cut from fake sheets do fluoresce purple, although not much. Photograph it next to the authentic portrait card under a black light. Singles from the fake sheet flouresce brightly

- Paper used for the better forgeries is not smooth

- The sheet that was forged in the 70s was and continues to be the main problem, with people being ripped off for decades due to singles cut from the low quality forgeries

- 1928 Ruth Candy cards consists of several variations. The forgeries are easy to spot.

I've never seen a fake of either in an SGC holder

Let me get this straight, SGC recently resumed grading Ruth Candy cards but not Fro Joy?