View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 12:15 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Jeff- that sounds like projection.
That makes all dealers sound like crooks. That has been the general view on all collectible dealers since the dawn of time. I take offense to it. I watched my father do honest business for over 25 years. I mimic what I saw.

I recently started setting up at shows by myself. I had a great conversation with someone that I just met about postwar errors, blank backs, off register cards and the such. He browsed my table for some Twins stuff and found a quite tough modern era error that I had priced at $1. He informed of the rarity and told me to be sure not to sell it for $1.

This stuff happens. We just all need to do it. I think it would do wonders for our reputation(s) and perhaps bring more people to the collecting world.

Steve- I agree with everything you said.
Matt...I am not advocating ripping someone off at all. Under the scenario that is presented, isn't it the buyers obligation to shop around with many dealers to get the best offer? Assuming that all the dealers are not standing together, some will be helpful and others not so much. If the buyer does his due diligence, the not so honest dealer will never have a shot at the card because there will be someone else who treats the seller of the card more fairly and probably still gets a heck of a deal.

Jeff