View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Steve Birmingham

Thanks guys .

The background is more than just printing, I am or have been into a number of hobbies at different levels for longer than I like to think about. Some mainstream, some not.
There's also a decade or so doing machinery repairs with a place that didn't specialize. So I worked on stuff like a 1930's extrusion press and a machine that ground telescope lenses. Talk about huge differences!

Coins, Stamps, cards of course, Old bottles, telephone insulators, the usual rocks and shells most kids collect. Old bicycles and the stuff related to them. Cars -briefly, it's too darn hard to fix them while needing to drive them. Old computers and video games, general ephemera............Yeah, pretty much collect whatever catches my eye.

It's fascinating how most people in different hobbies look at things.
Oddly the card hobby is sort of in the middle when it comes to this sort of stuff. Stamps can get totally insane, coins has headed more that way. The old bike guys won't buy even a very rare bike unless they can ride it and some are super fussy about the size. I don't think I ever saw anything about differences in bottles at all. But it has been a long time for those. once every few years I'll run across one that just looks nice to me and is cheap but I haven't really followed it.

Of course the stamp and coin folks have well over a hundred years headstart on us.

Steve B