View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 12:12 PM

I first ordered cards through the mail with Wholesale Cards Co. of New York/New Jersey, run by Bruce Yeko. I think he eventually stopped in the 80s maybe; I read where a barn fire took all of his remaining inventory, which was probably a massive loss considering he dealt in sports and non-sports cards.

I also dealt with The Trading Card Co. of Farmington Hills, Michigan. They had excellent customer service. I well recall the time in the late 60s I ordered a group of about forty 1962 Topps baseball. Among the cards I selected was #200, Mickey Mantle. Somehow, I'd lost my original during a family move. I had even forgotten what the card looked like. They did indeed send me Mickey, for only eight cents. That's what they were charging for 62s then. Hate to say it; that shot of Mick is awful and forgettable, but it was nice to get the Mantle anyway. Funny how some things you just don't forget.

In the 80s I believe The Trading Card Co. sold out to a Chicago-area sports collecting store conglomerate, with Don Steinbach being one of the principal owners. ---Brian Powell