View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Lots of my errors and regrets have already been covered.

No one has mentioned forgetting to have fun with the hobby. This is supposed to be a pastime, not a stressor. I've spent way too much time in the past worrying about what things are worth rather than just enjoying them. We all have cards we'd rather not sell unless forced. Enjoy those cards and don't sweat their value.

Then there is the rest of the collection. One mistake I made in the past and am trying not to repeat is to hold a card past its market. Cards go up and down, sometimes dramatically--remember the E card rush of about a decade ago? I try to set a price point in my head for cards that I am not intent on keeping until I drop dead and when the cards hit that point, I sell them. Ditto for the occasional contact I get asking desperately for some rare card I have. Make my price, take the card.

Rarity. Rarity. Rarity. And not that 'rare for the grade' tripe. I like cards where you check VCP and see one or two transactions. Ever. As some have noted already, when it comes to mainstream issues, you can wait for a deal. There will always be one. But a rare card, one that has only a few know specimens or is a 1 of 1, well, that's the kind of card you can always trade or sell. I've had and sold quite a few of those and when I am ready to sell, I have competition for the card lined up.

Don't sweat a few bucks on the acquisition side when it comes to items you really like or rare items. At one National I saw something I really liked on the first morning but it was $400 and not really in my normal collecting vein, so I passed. Several hours later I decided to get it but it was gone. At another show I asked a dealer for a rare Exhibit type card. He had two but they were expensive. I passed. Again, I went back and they were gone.

Patience. Already been remarked on but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. As Mr. Spock said: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Don't be in a rush to finish sets. Take time and enjoy the experience and shop for cards that really make the set what you want it to be.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-28-2015 at 11:02 AM.